May 10, 2006

Ghana: A Golden Experience at the Center of the World


It's always such a flushing letdown when these exams are finished. I never know how well I did, they always seem hard, and the process is demoralizing. But hell, it's over now. I just uploaded my final exam for my 2L (tool) year. Now all that's left is a paper, picking judges to clerk for, packing and cleaning.

To pick myself up I looked around on the web for a little bit earlier for more Ghana information. I found this travelblogue. Looks like she was there for a few months in 2001, and went to some amazing places. All I've thought about much are the beaches and fabric and people, but the rivers, waterfalls, rainforests, animals (In Ghana, even the animals ... have a Smile for You!), and other towns are really exciting me at the moment. Looks like May and June are rainy and hot (90s during the day, 80s at night), and it gets a little cooler and drier in July and August. I'll be in Accra, which is that little beige sluggy area at the bottom right of the map.

Here's the Republic of Ghana's tourism website (whence comes the "Golden Experience" business). I'm going to be there during the World Cup, in which Ghana is a particpant this year. That should be suitably insane (it's taking place in Germany). Ghana'll be playing the US on June 22. I'll also be there for Emancipation Day, a weeklong celebration of the end of the transatlantic slave trade. And I can take a batiking class for $20. woo.

. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rad!!!!!!!!!!
I may ask you to bring me back some cool fabric and I'll pay you back upon your return! If you have suitcase space, and all that.