Dec 18, 2006

cornhuskers crush stanford, 3 games to 1

The University of Nebraska volleyball team won the national championship game against Stanford last night, their third national championship ever. "Stanford coach John Dunning called the final the biggest game in college volleyball history. The [Omaha] Qwest Center capacity crowd of about 17,200 was the largest to ever watch a college volleyball match."

I watched the game with zillions of red-clad Husker fans (and some Whitneys and some Thompsons and some Lehls) at Heidelbergs, a gigantic sports bar I'd never heard of in south Lincoln. It was the first college-level volleyball game I'd ever seen, and man o man, I had no idea! It's fast-paced, exciting, the court's small enough to see the players, and just loook how terrifically gigantic they are! They're bionic! look at that vertical! (I think #9 is Sarah Pavan: she's 6'5".) and I was in a crowd of at least 250 people, including plenty o' men, all cheering for women, which was a really delicious feeling. I want to go to a real game next year.




. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you invite some of those girls to your apartment for new years?

zach

Anonymous said...

My 21-year-old, somewhat thuggy brother sent me a text message the day before the championship game, saying: "Nebraska v. Stanford. Who will win? Who will win? Who will claim the proverbial cheesecake from the deli of champions?" He's kind of strange and hilarious sometimes.

And despite my alma mater versus hometown inner conflict, I was kind of glad to see Nebraska prevail in the end... how cool to win that shit in front of a huge crowd in your home state, yo. Husker fans know how to bring it.

Happy holidays miss you come back soon byeeeee.