Jul 4, 2006

jose can you see?

happy fourth of july! I'm working on getting into the US embassy's party today. It's invite only, but they sent an invite to my boss (not even American! sheesh!), but she can't go, so I want to go instead. We will see.

Ada Foah was beautiful. I popped the cherry on my new tropical tent with all its breezy screens. It wasn't exactly restful b/c it was super windy and it starting sprinkling in the middle of the night. But it was fun and that's what counts. Ada Foah is a long spit of sand between the mouth of the Volta (Kristin: Georgia O'Keeffe would love it here.) and the Atlantic. It isn't very wide--you can walk across it in five minutes. From where we were, we walked all the way around the tip of the peninsula, and it took about an hour and a half. I took lots of waving-palm-tree pictures. It rained on the second day, but it was still nice enough.

On our tro-tro home, Kristin and I nearly died a few times in quick succession--it's not exactly clear what happened, but I think our tro-tro got cut off very dangerously by another tro-tro. This pissed off our tro-tro driver and the mate (the guy who takes the money and yells where the tro-tro is going to attract passengers), so we had to pass them very dangerously. Then, while we were passing them, the other driver made a rude gesture, which incensed our mate enough to make him think that throwing a big bucket of oil at the other tro-tro was a good idea. Then everyone on the bus started yelling at our mate for doing such a stupid thing for the next 10 minutes. It was all very dramatic. This made me start thinking about whether I was wearing clean underwear (check!) and then what if I had an autopsy and that the autopsifier could check if my teeth were brushed (check!) and if I was wearing deodorant (check!) and see what my last meal was (cookies and instant lemonade) and really what my meals were for the last four days (yes, it's true. sometimes I poop all the time and sometimes not at all. kind of a digestive rollercoaster). This amused me and made being terrified not so terrible.

Back to work.

. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*I* want to go dancing in the American Embassy on the Fourth of July, sheeee-yit.