Jan 19, 2007

"It is like a smorgasbord for hair.”

Those of you without curly hair or without family members or best friends with curly hair may be unaware of the horrors of going to a haircutting place where you are subjected to interactions like this:

Haircutter with very intense things going on on her/his own head: "How do you wear it?"

Me: "Um, I don't know."

Haircutter, already exasperated: "Well, do you wear it straight or curly?"

Me: "I don't know."

SWT and experience have taught me that this means: "Do you blow-dry it out/do other crap to make it straight?" Then they often want to either thin it with thinning shears (which are like scissors made out of very sharp combs, so they only cut some hair) or, as was the case most recently with me, blow-dry it out straight, which looks, I think, horrid. Apparently there's a lot of curly hair prejudice around. This is an enigma to me.

Anyway, there's a whole article, one of the "most emailed," even, about the curly-hair phenom on the NYT. As a person newly aware of just how curly her hair is, I find the article's intense focus on "taming" the curls, in the guise of talking about how now finally it's ok to have curls, well, a little offensive. Escape the paradigm, NYT!


Oh, and there's a website, of course.
. . .

No comments: