Jun 14, 2007

np, ne

As I write, I can hear: little birds tweeting, the little high school marching band practicing, and little kids playing. Few cars and no buses. No car alarms. No loud music from the pizza place across the street. No thunderous construction projects. Nope. Of course, most of those things were largely good in their own right but I don't miss the noise.

North Platte's all right, all right. It's got big wide streets relatively empty of cars, so riding my bike ain't no thang. I pay $525 for a two-BR duplex w/ hardwood floors, a dishwasher, a washer and dryer, and a garage (with opener). Gas is expensive but driving above 1.5 miles any place is unusual, so a tank lasts forever. Kids play outside a lot and people don't lock their doors. Obesity and SUVs are rampant. The sidewalks are empty (of walkers). The downtown is barely alive but the strip of chains is thriving. I am now a Walmart shopper. Everyone is eerily nice and forthcoming with information about their lives and interested in mine (I confess, I sometimes avoid eye contact to avoid the chat). My neighbors on both sides have kids and are all very nice and neighborly. There are at least two health food stores in town , although one of them (run by my landlady) is largely vitamins and food supplements. You have to drop off your recycling somewhere (not sure yet where). My neighbor has a cute new puppy, and so does her boyfriend. Work is good, it's all interesting, I have a gigantic office with a window and chairs for people to sit in and I've started studying for the bar like mad. It's actually been pretty nice not having internet at home the past week. I crave indian food but it's not to be had. Now it's time for dinner and then Professor David Epstein will lecture me on contract law.

. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maaaaannnnn....that sounds so chill, acmcs. i'd sit out on that porch with some whiskey and strum.

Anonymous said...

Anything non-perishable you want from NYC that I can drop off on my way by in a month? :)

Anonymous said...

Dewd, until just now, I thought when you wrote "np" you just meant "no problem!"

"No problem, nebraska!"