Jul 16, 2007

it's summertime, and the corn is sweet


Back when I was waitressing at the Taste of Darkness, lo, in 1994, occasionally the owner/cook would grill herself up some corn on the cob right there on the gas stove, seasoned with salt and chili powder. I was a little suspicious--how do you top butter? But it is tas-t. I haven't had it since, but being back in corn country reminded me and I tried to make it this afternoon. It doesn't really work on an electric stove, alas. (Or rather, I was too chicken to put the corn directly on the heating coil, and I couldn't get it to work right in a frying pan.) But you people with gas stoves are made in the shade. Just turn on the gas, maybe at low or medium, then put the corn right on top of the burner and turn it occasionally till it's cooked. Then sprinkle w/ the aforesaid salt and chili. If like me you're burdened w/ electric, then just boil as usual and then season w/ salt and chili. It kind of reminded me of ghanaian street food, actually, what with the chili powder.

This website has more cooking corn ideas (read thru the comments--there are other indoor cooking options, like broiling, and somebody recommended a squeeze of fresh lemon juice too).


. . .

1 comment:

Angela O said...

We had sweet corn for lunch on Saturday! The butter and salt way, but it was still good.