Mar 23, 2006

this is radio clash

hello readers!

I'm in a better mood today than I have been in a long loong time. Last night I had a terrific visit with one of my sister's Peace Corps buddies, let's call her Synthia Starshine, in a Starbucks in Hoboken, NJ. So much to say about this visit!

˙˙˙ I'd never been to Hoboken. Hoboken is a sweet little town. It'd be fun to live there, I think. And, weirdly, it'd be faster and cheaper for me to get to school from New Guernsey than from Crooklyn. Also there's some children's book about a giant chicken in Hoboken. I don't know of any children's books about Greenpoint, and Brooklyn can only boast a tree.

˙˙˙It got me super pumped to go back to West Africa. Just talking with Ms. Starshine about it made me want to run straight back! And it was so great to see her!

˙˙˙ She also brought me fabulous gifts from my sister, further kindling my Africa yen, including:

  • a terrific letter;
  • a green/white striped Ok Plast Thumbs Up plastic teapot, of the sort that the Burkinabé might use to wash their nether regions, but that I will use to water my grateful plants;
  • a pagne with green background, red swirls, and portraits of the longtime BF president, Blaise Campaore, emblazoned all over it. Pajamas perhaps?
  • flip flops! with a mole friendlily waving a shovel at the wearer, and the message "Friend Mole" inscribed along the heel;
  • and a few birthday items for family members that shall remain unspecified here until such birthdays pass, as they do.

Then I got to go back to school and share with St. Bert and No Samina my new great loot and enthusiam! during which we ate a delicious Trader Joe's dinner of dark chocolate, gouda cheese, ginger snaps, and Aronia Berry Juice. Postprandial discussions of pressing community issues followed, minus St. Bert and plus Guitar Monday Man & Sol Rock.

And to top off the evening, I did no homework or dishes, but read my email instead, where I learned that someone indeed would care to come analyze my apartment's sublettabilty this weekend.

A good 12 hours.

˙˙˙

No comments: