Aug 27, 2007

law and fashion

The rumor is I'll find out the bar exam results sometime in the next week or so.

I haven't really thought much about law school since I left. I hauled out my old blue workhorse, my law-school computer, today because it's too hot here to do anything other than watch movies and netflix requires a microsoft operating system to "watch instantly" movies on their website. While it's out of its svelte red-and-green-airplaned sleeve and I'm thinking about knitting projects, I thought I'd poke around in its dusty corners to try to find out to which sibling I'm scheduled to give a big nice present this year (we have a chart). Anyhow, while Old Blue Bits was searching for me, it scrolled through all my old law school class notes: civil procedure, contracts, the horrible environmental values, income tax (amazingly unhorrible), immigration and con law, international law (my worst grade), mental disability law, professional responsibility for law in the public interest (a ridiculous mouthful), torts, property, crim, admin, lawyering, art of appellate decisionmaking (another mouthful, but a bounteous 4 credits), the law of democracy, problems of a free press, lawyering, a south african transition class (the easiest credit I ever earned), products liability, sexuality and the law, and my employment and housing discrimination clinic. I kind of almost miss it. Almost all of it was interesting, and for the most part well taught. I enjoy thinking about them all, anyway, even the horrible ones. While law school did serve to familiarize me with jargon and somewhat with legal writing and research, though, it seems like some faraway fancy world with little connection to my actual job. Which is not to say I don't like my job. It merely strikes me as a bittlest bit comical. Like accessorizing a wedding dress with hip waders.
. . .

No comments: