Aug 29, 2007

project questions

SKP writes, enthusiastically: How did you make the lampshade??? just by covering the existing, ugly one?? I, too, need a cute lampshade!!!

I writes: I thought about covering the old lampshade but I didn't like how it changed the color of the light that came through (it was rather yellowy). So I xacto-knifed the shade off its metal pieces. There's one metal circle at the top with three arms that reach down to a small ring that is put on a post on the top of the lamp and is held on by another little metal bit that screws down on top of it. Then the bottom piece of the shade was just another metal ring. At first I tried to make wire struts between the two rings so that I would have a shape to stretch the fabric over, but that didn't work--it was too hard to make the things the same size and they wouldn't hang straight (I suspect the wire was not of a heavy enough gauge). So then I just decided to let the fabric hold its own shape. I looped the top of the fabric around the top ring and sewed it down, then looped the bottom of the fabric around the bottom ring and sewed it down. The bottom ring serves as a weight and pulls the shade into the right shape. It's kind of hard to explain, really--when I do the next one, I'll take more in-progress pictures, if you want. It was a pain because the bottom ring has a slightly larger diameter. Also, I think I might add some white interfacing to the inside because the fabric is too transparent--the lightbulb's too bright, and you can see all my seams. I didn't have enough fabric to do it all in one piece, hence the strip at the bottom that goes in another direction--that bottom strip is actually composed of three different pieces. It's hard to make the fabric exactly the right size, if you're making it out of pieces. It doesn't hang quite straight everywhere.

And Angela writes: what is that bag made of?

I writes: The bag of bags is made of bags, that's the beauty of it. I cut up brightly colored plastic bags into strips and then knit them into a ... bag!

-Over and out-
. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever girl!! :)

Angela O said...

a bag of bags! Who'da thunk it?

jc said...

I've sat on your lampshade for years...nice to recognize that fabric.