Oct 15, 2007

cherry

I made my first appearance ever "in front" of an Article 3* Judge today, this very day. For family reasons, my colleague was unexpectedly out of the office this morning, and, well, he had a hearing at 11:30 to terminate our client's grandparents' guardianship of her child. Attorney #23665 to the rescue! I appeared by telephone (hence the quotation marks around "in front") and sounded like the utter newbie I am, but I didn't screw it up and our client has regained custody of her child. (It would have been hard to screw it up--the other side agreed and did most of the talking.)

*An Article 3 judge is one provided for in Article 3 of the Constitution. Administrative law judges, such at those that adjudicate social security hearings, are not Article 3 judges. They are part of the executive branch, and besides, they have nowhere near the power and prestige, and they wear suits instead of robes (at least the one I've seen did).

. . .

No comments: