Oct 14, 2007

make this recipe as soon as you possibly can


No joke. You got to do it while there are still sugar pumpkins in the grocery stores (they're much smaller than the carving kind).

It's called Kaddo Bourani, it's Afghani, they serve it at my favorite restaurant in Boston, Helmand, and here's the recipe. The dish's got a pumpkin wedge base, with a cold mint-garlic yogurt sauce and a meat sauce. If you don't eat meat, make it with TVP. I've tried it both ways, and while the meat version is better, the TVP version is still amazing. You might add a little more oil, since the meat contributes part of the fat. The pumpkin prep takes quite a while, but it is really truly worth it. You could probably cut down on the sugar in the pumpkin a little, and I didn't happen to have a tomato when I made the TVP sauce the second time, so I used a red pepper and it was still delicious. I also had coriander seeds instead of ground coriander, so I ground some up with my mortar and pestle. I highly recommend doing this, if you have the seeds and M&P. It just takes a few seconds to grind and it smells heavenly. Oh, and I used olive oil and grapeseed oil instead of corn oil and that was fine too. I think the next time I make it I'm going to bake the pumpkins a little first so that they're easier to peel. And then freeze it so I can have it in the coming winter deeps.

Let me know if you make it.

. . .

p.s. I ate mine too fast to take any pictures, so that picture is from the site with the recipe.

1 comment:

... said...

Hi Anne,
Thanks for the link! That does look totally awesome.

I think we're going to try your pumpkin recipe this weekend. We have some pumpkin sitting in the fridge that we picked up at the farmer's market last month just dying to be made into more stuff (Jessie made an awesome pumpkin & rice number last week).

Did you see this battered fish recipe, a variation on the vodka theme from one of the links:
NYT Beer battered fish

And while we're on the subject... I don't know if there's any chocolate cake baking in your future but somebody asked me last week about chocolate birthday cakes containing cranberries / coffee / liquor and I came across these two that I hope to be making soon (at least one):

Chocolate coffee cake
Chocolate cranberry torte

--Bob